Dr. Michael Enman is a Calgary psychologist with more than 20 years of experience working collaboratively with individuals, families, and couples as they successfully address the challenges in their lives.
His areas and expertise in the area of Individual Therapy includes:
- Emotional disregulation (e.g., Depression, Anxiety; Borderline Personality Disorder; Bipolar I and II)
- Substance Use/abuse
- Interpersonal challenges
- (Adult) ADHD
His interests and expertise in the area of Couple Therapy includes:
- Strengthening couple relationships
- Identifying and addressing mental health issues impacting a couple’s relationship
- Addressing substance issues in a couple’s relationship
- Conflict management and/or resolution
- Divorce: managing its emotional/psychological impact on each member of the couple
His interests in Family Therapy involve working with families having adult children. Issues include:
- Miscommunication and conflict among siblings, and between parents and their child(ren)
- Transgenerational impact of substance use by family members
- Transgenerational impact of family mental health issue
Michael takes an integrative approach to working with individuals, couples, and families. His approach is supported by advanced, formal training in a number of approaches to therapy, including Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Gottman Method (of couple therapy), and Emotion-Focused Couple Therapy
Michael believes his role in therapy is to support your efforts to better understand and change your situation. In a collaborative manner, he will work with you to identify the emotional, psychological, and behavioural challenges you and your loved ones may be facing, and together will identify and strengthen the resources you will develop and draw upon to effectively create meaning change in your life.
What Is The Therapy Session Like?
Individual therapy sessions are normally 50 minutes long, although some clients prefer to schedule longer sessions. Couple and Family therapy sessions are often up to 90 minutes in length.
In individual sessions, Michael’s tasks will be to:
- Create an emotionally safe place to work on your challenges
- Identify and mobilize your strengths and resources
- Identify those thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and circumstances that may be interfering with your efforts to meet your goals
- To collaboratively set goals and develop concrete action plans for managing or overcoming obstacles to goals
- To collaboratively examine your concerns/challenges in context, taking into account the influence of your gender, culture, and family of origin
- To use a specific intervention if it is appropriate to the your goals (e.g., distress tolerance, emotional regulation, relaxation training)
- To suggest homework (e.g., reflection; experiments; reading or writing assignments) to help you gain additional insight and build further upon your progress.
We specialize in helping individuals, families, and couples successfully address the challenges in their lives. What can we do for you?